Just got word that my five-minute play THE RECRUITER will be produced in Houston in the 2016 Five Minute Mile Play Festival at the Obsidian Theatre. The show dates are November 9-19.
A scene about gender discrimination in college sports. A college recruiter shows up at a rural school asking about a particular football player; oblivious to the softball player banging home runs in batting practice. Cast: Two adult males, one teenage girl.
This is also one of the short scenes in PLAY BALL!, a full-length collection of short baseball scenes.
* January 2: Staged reading of RHONDA’S HIGH-CLASS ROADKILL CHILI (full-length) at Showtimers, Roanoke, Virginia.
* January 28: MAC AND BETH (one-act), Cascade Christian Schools, Puyallup, Washington.
* January 30: HIT THE BOOKS (one-act), Greater Sioux Falls Home Schools, Sioux Falls, South Dakota.
* Feb 5: Staged reading of THE BEAUTIFUL OGRE AND OTHER FAIRY TALES (ten-minute plays) as radio play before live audience, Hoosier Hometown Live, Mitchell, Indiana.
* Feb. 12: JIMMY’S PLAN FOR WORLD DOMINATION (one-minute play), Curiosi-Tea House, Mankato, Minnesota.
* Feb. 24: Staged reading of LARRY’S PLAN TO GET OUT OF DOING YARDWORK (five-minute), Readers Repertory Theatre, Los Angeles.
* Feb. 25: Staged reading of JILL AND THE BEANSTALK (one-act), Mitchell Community Public Library, Mitchell, Indiana.
* March 12: Staged reading of EXILED TO TEXAS, Roanoke Children’s Theatre, Roanoke, Virginia.
* March 19: Staged reading of 57 HOURS IN THE HOUSE OF CULTURE, Sweet Briar College, Sweet Briar, Virginia.
* March 19: Staged reading of PIECE OF CAKE (five-minute piece), Talif Productions, Theatre Momentum Pendulum Space, Chicago.
* April 22-24: CHEF PIERRE DOES NOT DO SIMPLE (ten-minute play), Dover Little Theatre, Dover, New Jersey.
* April 26: Staged reading of CAT ON TRIAL (five-minute play), Readers Theatre Repertory at San Pedro, Los Angeles.
* May 7-8: LETTERS FROM THE MONA LISA (ten-minute play), Jewel Box Theatre, Poulsbo, Washington.
* June 9-11: THE BIGFOOT SIGHTING and A MOMENT OF SILENCE (one-minute plays), Gone in 60 Seconds Festival, New York, NY.
* June 24-26, July 1-3, 8-10: THE BEAUTIFUL OGRE AND OTHER FAIRY TALES (ten-minute play), Garfield Center, Chestertown, Maryland.
* July 8-9: THE ZOOKEEPER’S ARM, 10-minute play produced in “Overnight Sensations,” a 24-hour play project run by Hollins University and Mill Mountain Theatre, Roanoke, Virginia.
* July 11: Staged reading of SOFTBALL IS LIFE, Endstation Theatre, Lynchburg, Virginia.
* July 21: Staged reading of SOMEWHERE TONIGHT, THE WASHINGTON SENATORS LAST GAME PLAYS ON, Chincoteague Theatre Company, Chincoteague, Virginia.
* July 23-24: Staged reading of A ZOMBIE CHRISTMAS (one-act), Princeton Theatre, Princeton, Illinois.
* August 5-7, 12-14: THE BEAUTIFUL OGRE AND OTHER FAIRY TALES (ten-minute play), Open Space Arts, Reisterstown, Maryland.
* August 5-13: DEATH BY POINSETTIA (one-act), Artists Exchange, Cranston, Rhode Island.
* August 6: THE TALE OF THE WHALE (one-act), Historic North Theatre, Danville, Virginia.
* Sept. 4: PRETTY LITTLE WHITE LIES (very short play), Starcropolis festival, Roanoke, Virginia.
* Sept. 8-10, 15-17: LITTLE SUGAR (five-minute play), Asphalt Jungle Shorts, Kitchener, Ontario.
* Sept. 30, Oct. 1-2: THE PICTURE WINDOW (ten-minute play), North Park Playwrights Festival, North Park Vaudeville and Candy Shoppe, San Diego, California.
* Nov. 9-19: THE RECRUITER (five-minute play), Cone Man Running Festival, Obsidian Theatre, Houston, Texas.