My dark play about the 2002 Moscow theatre siege will come to life for a second time. Sweet Briar College (north of Lynchburg, Virginia) will hold a staged reading of 57 HOURS IN THE HOUSE OF CULTURE on Saturday, March 19, 2016.
I’m indebted to Sweet Briar theatre instructor Melora Kordos for arranging (and directing) this. She remembered the show from its previous production at Studio Roanoke in 2012.
The staged reading will be in the Pannell Gallery, which at that time will be hosting an exhibit called “Art For the People: Propaganda and Public Service.”
The reading is at 7:30 p.m. and is free.
You can find links about the previous production — and my 2016 production schedule below:
MORE ON “57 HOURS IN THE HOUSE OF CULTURE”:
* “57 Hours” called “well-crafted and compelling”
* Video: “57 Hours in the House of Culture” at Studio Roanoke in May 2012
* Backstage graffiti from the show
* Photos from the show
* Audience reaction to the show
* Review: “It ain’t ‘Oklahoma!'”
* Congressman Goodlatte attends the show
* Review: “Most interactive show I’ve seen”
* Media interviews about the show
* The set takes shape
* Rehearsal photos
* Rehearsal begins
* The poster for the show
* Jan. 3: Staged reading of MISS COW PIE BINGO (full-length), Showtimers, Roanoke, Virginia.
* Feb. 6: Production of MACBETH GOES HOLLYWOOD (long one-act), Gull Lake High School, Richland, Michigan
* Feb. 13: Staged reading of 39 HOURS IN THE SOVIET CITY OF ROSES (full-length), Poetic Theater Productions, New York, N.Y.
* Feb. 13: Staged reading of three short pieces: CHERRY POP TARTS, MY CRIMSON LOVE and LUST, at Garfield Center for the Arts, Chestertown, Maryland.
* Feb. 25: Staged reading of THE RING (one-act) and CAT ON TRIAL (five-minute play), The Readers Repertory Theatre of San Pedro, Los Angeles, California.
* March 25: Staged reading of THE BREAK-IN (five-minute play), The Readers Repertory Theatre of San Pedro, Los Angeles, California.
* March 25-27: Production of HAMLET GOES HOLLYWOOD (long one-act), High Meadows School, Roswell, Georgia.
* May 1: Production of THE MONKEY AT THE WEDDING (one-act), Acton-Acton-Boxborough Regional High School, Acton, Massachusetts. (Won four awards in competition, including best actor and best actress.)
* May 1: Short film KISS MY ASHES GOODBYE wins audience prize at Bike Shorts Film Festival, Roanoke, Virginia.
* May 5: Production of SLAM POETRY and THE ONLINE AFFAIR (one-minute plays) in Gone in 60 Seconds Festival, Leeds, UK.
* June 11, 12 and 13th: THERE ARE NO CELLPHONES IN SHAKESPEARE and AN UNEXPECTED CHEESE PARTY in Gone in 60 Seconds Festival in New York.
* June 12: AN UNEXPECTED CHEESE PARTY, THE FOUNTAIN OF TOO MUCH YOUTH, THE LITTLE RED HEN THINKS BIG, in #NextGen, the youth version of the Gone in 60 Seconds Festival in New York.
* July 16: THE SKY IS FALLING (ten-minute script), Picnic in the Park Local Talent Variety Show, Mankato, Minnesota.
* July 18: DEEP INTO OCTOBER and FIREBALLER, by Synergy Energy Theater, Deer Park, New York.
* August 7: FOLLOW THE MONEY: A MODERN FAIRY TALE, at theatre camp, Davis, California.
* July/August/September/October: THE ONE-WORD MACBETH, Pop Culture Theatre, Melbourne, Australia. (July 25-26 in the Mount Players One-Act Play Festival in Macedon; Aug. 8-9 in the South Gippsland One-Act Play Festival (FMDA) in Foster; Sept. 4-6 in Kyneton’s Festival of One-Act Plays in Kyneton, and Oct. 17 in Melbourne.
* August 22: THE BLACK MARKET OF MEMORIES (one-act) and THE SANDSTORM (ten-minute), in the Paragon Science Fiction and Fantasy Play Festival, Otherworld Theatre, Chicago.
* August 25: Encore production of THE SKY IS FALLING (ten-minute script), Picnic in the Park Local Talent Variety Show, Mankato, Minnesota.
* Sept. 17, 18, 19, 24, 25, 26: THREE TREES TALKING and THE WEAKEST FINGER (short scripts), Asphalt Jungle Shorts, walking-tour theatre festival in Kitchener, Ontario.
* Nov. 13-Dec 14: DEATH BY POINSETTIA (one-act), Studio C, Hollywood, California.
* Nov. 13: CODE 40 VERONA (one-act), Redwood Christian Schools, San Lorenzo, California.
* Nov. 18: CAT ON TRIAL (five-minute piece), Readers Theatre Repertory of San Pedro, Los Angeles.
* December 4-19: ON THE THIRTEENTH DAY OF CHRISTMAS (full-length), First Avenue Playhouse, Atlantic Highlands, New Jersey.
* December 5: Staged reading of THE CHRISTMAS GOAT (ten-minute), Arts Resources for the Tri-State, Huntington, West Virginia.
* December 5: HIT THE BOOKS (one-act), Girard High School, Girard, Kansas.
* December 5: THE FRUITCAKE (one-act), Back Street Players, Hanover, Illinois
* December 11-13: THIS IS ANGEL O’LORD REPORTING and JOY TO OTHER WORLDS (five-minute scripts), Showtimers, Roanoke, Virginia.
* December 14: THE FRUITCAKE (one-act), Lockwood High School, Lockwood, Missouri
* December 15: LET THERE BE LIGHTS! (one-act), Seton Hall University, Seton Hall, New Jersey.
* December date unclear: FATHER CHRISTMAS (ten-minute), Southern Nash High School, Bailey, North Carolina.
UPCOMING IN 2016
* January 2, 2016: Staged reading of RHONDA’S HIGH-CLASS ROADKILL CHILI (full-length) at Showtimers, Roanoke, Virginia.
* January 28, 2016: MAC AND BETH (one-act), Cascade Christian Schools, Puyallup, Washington.
* January 30, 2016: HIT THE BOOKS (one-act), Greater Sioux Falls Home Schools, Sioux Falls, South Dakota.
* March 19, 2016: Staged reading of 57 HOURS IN THE HOUSE OF CULTURE, Sweet Briar College, Sweet Briar, Virginia.