My ten-minute play THE SKY IS FALLING will be produced July 16 in Mankato, Minnesota.
This will be part of the Picnic in the Park Local Talent Variety Show, an annual event which this year includes: “New to Picnic is a “Youth Training Workshop” where youth, ages 11-18, can explore all aspects of produucing a short, 10-minute play.Experienced adult mentors from Merely Players Community Theatre (Seth Rausch, Breanna Boyce) and Mankato Mosaic Theatre Company (Jen Potocnik) will work with these youth.”
This production came completely out of the blue. Usually I go submitting scripts to theaters. Here, one came to me. Program director Elaine Hardwick asked some local theaters for appropriate scripts; one of them was a place where I had submitted . . . and so she contacted me.
This will be the second production for this script:
THE SKY IS FALLING
Two squirrels conduct an experiment, dropping things off a powerline. The result: Chicken Little gets hit on the head and thinks the sky is falling. Comedy — and a rap song — ensue. Cast: Five – 1 male, 1 female, 3 non-gender. Running time: Ten minutes.
* Produced by Piano Fight Productions, Marin County, California, September 2014.
I never got any photos from the previous production but do have this publicity photo.
So far in 2015:
* Jan. 3: Staged reading of MISS COW PIE BINGO (full-length), Showtimers, Roanoke, Virginia.
* Feb. 6: Production of MACBETH GOES HOLLYWOOD (long one-act), Gull Lake High School, Richland, Michigan
* Feb. 13: Staged reading of 39 HOURS IN THE SOVIET CITY OF ROSES (full-length), Poetic Theater Productions, New York, N.Y.
* Feb. 13: Staged reading of three short pieces: CHERRY POP TARTS, MY CRIMSON LOVE and LUST, at Garfield Center for the Arts, Chestertown, Maryland.
* Feb. 25: Staged reading of THE RING (one-act) and CAT ON TRIAL (five-minute play), The Readers Repertory Theatre of San Pedro, Los Angeles, California.
* March 25: Staged reading of THE BREAK-IN (five-minute play), The Readers Repertory Theatre of San Pedro, Los Angeles, California.
* March 25-27: Production of HAMLET GOES HOLLYWOOD (long one-act), High Meadows School, Roswell, Georgia.
* May 1: Production of THE MONKEY AT THE WEDDING (one-act), Acton-Acton-Boxborough Regional High School, Acton, Massachusetts. (Won four awards in competition, including best actor and best actress.)
* May 1: Short film KISS MY ASHES GOODBYE wins audience prize at Bike Shorts Film Festival, Roanoke, Virginia.
* May 5: Production of SLAM POETRY and THE ONLINE AFFAIR (one-minute plays) in Gone in 60 Seconds Festival, Leeds, UK.
* June 11, 12 and 13th: THERE ARE NO CELLPHONES IN SHAKESPEARE and THE UNEXPECTED CHEESE PARTY in Gone in 60 Seconds Festival in New York.
* July 16: THE SKY IS FALLING (ten-minute script), Picnic in the Park Local Talent Variety Show, Mankato, Minnesota.
* July 18: DEEP INTO OCTOBER and FIREBALLER, by Synergy Energy Theater, Deer Park, New York.
* July/August: THE ONE-WORD MACBETH, Pop Culture Theatre, Melbourne, Australia.