Posts Tagged site-specific theatre
My short play A SMALL PROBLEM DOWN THE STREET was featured in this year’s Asphalt Jungle Shorts festival, an annual walking-tour festival in Kitchener, Ontario. Here’s how it went down, thanks to photos from director and producer Paddy Gillard-Bentley:
More below: Read the rest of this entry »
My short script CAN I? was produced recently in the Asphalt Jungle Shorts Festival in Kitchener, Ontario. This is a site-specific walking-tour festival, where patrons buy a ticket and then are escorted as a group around downtown Kitchener and, at various spots, live theatre breaks out.
CAN I? is set in a restaurant between a surly waitress and a sheepish customer. He asks “can I have . . .” a certain menu item, and the waitress lectures him on his grammar.
Just got word that my short script “Can I?” will be produced in September as part of Asphalt Jungle Shorts XI, an annual walking-tour theatre festival in Kitchener, Ontario.
Performances dates are Sept. 18, 19, 20, 25, 26 and 27th.
This is a site-specific festival, where patrons sign up for a walking tour and encounter theatres at various stops. “Can I?” is set in a restaurant.
A lesson in both grammar and assertiveness. A restaurant customer asks: “can I have the daily special?” A bossy waiter or waitress says “no.” Cast: Two, non-gender. Running time: Five minutes.
I’ve had pieces in this festival before. Here are some photos and video from previous ones:
It joins this list of upcoming productions:
* August 1-3: THE OTHER SIDE OF OZ, full-length script, Backyard Theatre, Billings, Montana.
* August 16: THE FACE ON MARS, ten-minute play, Suffield Players, Suffield, Connecticut
* September 6: THE SKY IS FALLING, ten-minute play, Piano Fight Productions, Lagunitas (Marin County), California.
* September 18, 19,20, 25, 26, 27: CAN I?, five-minute script in Asphalt Jungle Shorts XI, Kitchener, Ontario.
* September 22-24: SOMETIMES ELEPHANTS DIE STANDING UP, ten-minute play, Ghost Dog Productions, The Horse and Stables, London, UK.
* November 7, 8, 14, 15, 22, and 23: A MARTIAN WESTERN and DEMOTING PLUTO, one-acts, Short Science Play Showcase at the Explora Science Center and Children’s Museum, Albuquerque, New Mexico.
And here’s a partial list of productions this year: