Yes, that’s a beanstalk, the starring prop of my one-act JILL AND THE BEANSTALK, which will be produced in December by Patrick Henry Community College in Virginia.
Shows will be Saturday, December 3 at 11 a.m. at Patrick Henry’s Stuart campus. A second show will be Wednesday, December 7 at 3:45 p.m. for after-school students at Fieldale-Collinsville Middle School.
This will be the first production of the script, which previously had a staged reading in Indiana.
JILL AND THE BEANSTALK
Jill’s science project results in a beanstalk through the school’s ceiling. Comedy and chaos ensue, along with a goose that lays golden eggs, a harp that plays itself and, perhaps, even a rumor of a giant. Cast: Seven — 3 male, 3 female, 1 non-gender. Running time: Twenty minutes.
* Staged reading by Mitchell Community Public Library, Mitchell, Indiana, February 2016.
Here’s an updated list of 2016 productions:
* January 2: Staged reading of RHONDA’S HIGH-CLASS ROADKILL CHILI (full-length) at Showtimers, Roanoke, Virginia.
* January 28: MAC AND BETH (one-act), Cascade Christian Schools, Puyallup, Washington.
* January 30: HIT THE BOOKS (one-act), Greater Sioux Falls Home Schools, Sioux Falls, South Dakota.
* Feb 5: Staged reading of THE BEAUTIFUL OGRE AND OTHER FAIRY TALES (ten-minute plays) as radio play before live audience, Hoosier Hometown Live, Mitchell, Indiana.
* Feb. 12: JIMMY’S PLAN FOR WORLD DOMINATION (one-minute play), Curiosi-Tea House, Mankato, Minnesota.
* Feb. 24: Staged reading of LARRY’S PLAN TO GET OUT OF DOING YARDWORK (five-minute), Readers Repertory Theatre, Los Angeles.
* Feb. 25: Staged reading of JILL AND THE BEANSTALK (one-act), Mitchell Community Public Library, Mitchell, Indiana.
* March 12: Staged reading of EXILED TO TEXAS, Roanoke Children’s Theatre, Roanoke, Virginia.
* March 19: Staged reading of 57 HOURS IN THE HOUSE OF CULTURE, Sweet Briar College, Sweet Briar, Virginia.
* March 19: Staged reading of PIECE OF CAKE (five-minute piece), Talif Productions, Theatre Momentum Pendulum Space, Chicago.
* April 22-24: CHEF PIERRE DOES NOT DO SIMPLE (ten-minute play), Dover Little Theatre, Dover, New Jersey.
* April 26: Staged reading of CAT ON TRIAL (five-minute play), Readers Theatre Repertory at San Pedro, Los Angeles.
* May 7-8: LETTERS FROM THE MONA LISA (ten-minute play), Jewel Box Theatre, Poulsbo, Washington.
* June 9-11: THE BIGFOOT SIGHTING and A MOMENT OF SILENCE (one-minute plays), Gone in 60 Seconds Festival, New York, NY.
* June 24-26, July 1-3, 8-10: THE BEAUTIFUL OGRE AND OTHER FAIRY TALES (ten-minute play), Garfield Center, Chestertown, Maryland.
* July 8-9: THE ZOOKEEPER’S ARM, 10-minute play produced in “Overnight Sensations,” a 24-hour play project run by Hollins University and Mill Mountain Theatre, Roanoke, Virginia.
* July 11: Staged reading of SOFTBALL IS LIFE, Endstation Theatre, Lynchburg, Virginia.
* July 21: Staged reading of SOMEWHERE TONIGHT, THE WASHINGTON SENATORS LAST GAME PLAYS ON, Chincoteague Theatre Company, Chincoteague, Virginia.
* July 23-24: Staged reading of A ZOMBIE CHRISTMAS (one-act), Princeton Theatre, Princeton, Illinois.
* August 5-7, 12-14: THE BEAUTIFUL OGRE AND OTHER FAIRY TALES (ten-minute play), Open Space Arts, Reisterstown, Maryland.
* August 5-13: DEATH BY POINSETTIA (one-act), Artists Exchange, Cranston, Rhode Island.
* August 6: THE TALE OF THE WHALE (one-act), Historic North Theatre, Danville, Virginia.
* Sept. 4: PRETTY LITTLE WHITE LIES (very short play), Starcropolis festival, Roanoke, Virginia.
* Sept. 8-10, 15-17: LITTLE SUGAR (five-minute play), Asphalt Jungle Shorts, Kitchener, Ontario.
* Sept. 30, Oct. 1-2: THE PICTURE WINDOW (ten-minute play), North Park Playwrights Festival, North Park Vaudeville and Candy Shoppe, San Diego, California.
* Nov. 3-6: CATCH OF THE DAY (one-act), Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan.
* Nov. 6-9: A CHALKBOARD SCRIBBLED IN BLOOD (very short play), Rabbit’s Riot Theatre Company, Sligo, Ireland on 6-8, Manorhamilton, Ireland on the 9th.
* Nov. 8: THE FRUITCAKE (one-act), Sterling Public Schools, Sterling, Nebraska.
* Nov. 9-19: THE RECRUITER (five-minute play), Cone Man Running Festival, Obsidian Theatre, Houston, Texas.
* Dec. 1-2: MAC AND BETH (one-act), St. Petersburg High School, St. Petersburg, Florida.
* Dec. 2-10: A ZOMBIE CHRISTMAS and SVETLANA’S FIRST CHRISTMAS AWAY FROM HOME (both one-acts) and abbreviated version of full-length JOSE AND MARIA, Victorian Players, Youngstown, Ohio.
* December 3 and 7: JILL AND THE BEANSTALK (one-act), by Patrick Henry Community College, Martinsville, Virginia.
* December TBA: JOY TO OTHER WORLDS (one-act), Millard County schools, Millard County, Utah.
* January 7: Staged reading of THE CACTUS RUSTLERS, Showtimers, Roanoke, Virginia.
* May 11-13: THE OTHER SIDE OF OZ (full-length script), Lake Fenton High School, Lake Fenton, Michigan.