I have three short scripts being produced in February — two in Indiana and one in Minnesota.
“Hoosier Hometown Live” is a radio show based in Mitchell, Indiana. On February 5, the show will include two of my 10-minute plays — performed script-in-hand before a live audience at the Mitchell Opera House, and also broadcast over WBIW-AM.
The two scripts are THE BEAUTIFUL OGRE AND OTHER FAIRY TALES and CHICAGO DREAM. The former has been produced five times; the latter has never been on stage in any form.
UPDATE: The show ran long and dropped the last four pieces, one of which was CHICAGO DREAM.
Meanwhile, in Mankato, Minnesota, my one-minute script JIMMY’S PLAN FOR WORLD DOMINATION will be part of an open-mic theatre performance at the Curiosi-Tea House on Feb. 12. That production came through Elaine Hardwick, who last summer produced my ten-minute play THE SKY IS FALLING in Mankato.
Details and such below:
Here are synopses of the scripts:
THE BEAUTIFUL OGRE AND OTHER FAIRY TALES
A father reads his daughter a fairy tale as a bedtime story — which the characters begin to act out. The girl doesn’t like how the story is going — no strong female role models, for instance — so she changes it all around. This is the result. Cast: Five — three males, two females. Running time: Eight minutes.
* Produced by the Paw Paw Village Players, Paw Paw, Michigan, Feb. 15-16, 22-23, 2008.
* Produced by Youth Education on Stage Summer Shorts, Williston, North Dakota, June 24-26, 2008.
* Produced by Subversive Theatre, Buffalo, N.Y., various nights between May 2-17, 2009.
* Produced by Play’n’Well Players, Plainview, Michigan, last weekend of May 2009.
* Produced by Jeonju Players, Jeonju, South Korea, December 2014
A man takes a fantasy tour through Chicago – meeting the billy goat of the famous baseball curse and Mrs. O’Malley’s cow – only to find out he’s dreaming, after getting hit by a foul ball at Wrigley Field. Cast: Seven or ten, depending on doubling. With seven – five male, two female. With 10, five male, two female, three non-gender.
JIMMY’S PLAN FOR WORLD DOMINATION
Versions 1 and 2: A boy and his sister plot how to take over the world. Cast: Two — one male, one female. Running time: One minute.
Version 3: A classroom scene in which a teacher finds a student plotting how to take over the world. Cast: Two have speaking roles — one juvenile male, one female adult, then however many kids you need to fill out the scene. Running time: One minute.
(I’m not sure yet which version they’re doing.)
Here’s a full list of my 2016 schedule below — and an update on 2015 to include some productions I’m just now learning about because the info is only now arriving from the publishers:
* January 2, 2016: Staged reading of RHONDA’S HIGH-CLASS ROADKILL CHILI (full-length) at Showtimers, Roanoke, Virginia.
* January 28, 2016: MAC AND BETH (one-act), Cascade Christian Schools, Puyallup, Washington.
* January 30, 2016: HIT THE BOOKS (one-act), Greater Sioux Falls Home Schools, Sioux Falls, South Dakota.
* Feb 5: Staged readings of THE BEAUTIFUL OGRE AND OTHER FAIRY TALES and CHICAGO DREAM (both ten-minute plays) as radio plays, Hoosier Hometown Live, Mitchell, Indiana.
* Feb. 12: JIMMY’S PLAN FOR WORLD DOMINATION (one-minute play), Curiosi-Tea House, Mankato, Minnesota.
* March 19, 2016: Staged reading of 57 HOURS IN THE HOUSE OF CULTURE, Sweet Briar College, Sweet Briar, Virginia.
Here’s an updated list of 2015:
* Jan. 3: Staged reading of MISS COW PIE BINGO (full-length), Showtimers, Roanoke, Virginia.
* Feb. 6: Production of MACBETH GOES HOLLYWOOD (long one-act), Gull Lake High School, Richland, Michigan
* Feb. 13: Staged reading of 39 HOURS IN THE SOVIET CITY OF ROSES (full-length), Poetic Theater Productions, New York, N.Y.
* Feb. 13: Staged reading of three short pieces: CHERRY POP TARTS, MY CRIMSON LOVE and LUST, at Garfield Center for the Arts, Chestertown, Maryland.
* Feb. 25: Staged reading of THE RING (one-act) and CAT ON TRIAL (five-minute play), The Readers Repertory Theatre of San Pedro, Los Angeles, California.
* March 25: Staged reading of THE BREAK-IN (five-minute play), The Readers Repertory Theatre of San Pedro, Los Angeles, California.
* March 25-27: Production of HAMLET GOES HOLLYWOOD (long one-act), High Meadows School, Roswell, Georgia.
* May 1: Production of THE MONKEY AT THE WEDDING (one-act), Acton-Acton-Boxborough Regional High School, Acton, Massachusetts. (Won four awards in competition, including best actor and best actress.)
* May 1: Short film KISS MY ASHES GOODBYE wins audience prize at Bike Shorts Film Festival, Roanoke, Virginia.
* May 5: Production of SLAM POETRY and THE ONLINE AFFAIR (one-minute plays) in Gone in 60 Seconds Festival, Leeds, UK.
* June 11, 12 and 13th: THERE ARE NO CELLPHONES IN SHAKESPEARE and AN UNEXPECTED CHEESE PARTY in Gone in 60 Seconds Festival in New York.
* June 12: AN UNEXPECTED CHEESE PARTY, THE FOUNTAIN OF TOO MUCH YOUTH, THE LITTLE RED HEN THINKS BIG, in #NextGen, the youth version of the Gone in 60 Seconds Festival in New York.
* July 16: THE SKY IS FALLING (ten-minute script), Picnic in the Park Local Talent Variety Show, Mankato, Minnesota.
* July 18: DEEP INTO OCTOBER and FIREBALLER, by Synergy Energy Theater, Deer Park, New York.
* August 7: FOLLOW THE MONEY: A MODERN FAIRY TALE, at theatre camp, Davis, California.
* July/August/September/October: THE ONE-WORD MACBETH, Pop Culture Theatre, Melbourne, Australia. (July 25-26 in the Mount Players One-Act Play Festival in Macedon; Aug. 8-9 in the South Gippsland One-Act Play Festival (FMDA) in Foster; Sept. 4-6 in Kyneton’s Festival of One-Act Plays in Kyneton, and Oct. 17 in Melbourne.
* August 22: THE BLACK MARKET OF MEMORIES (one-act) and THE SANDSTORM (ten-minute), in the Paragon Science Fiction and Fantasy Play Festival, Otherworld Theatre, Chicago.
* August 25: Encore production of THE SKY IS FALLING (ten-minute script), Picnic in the Park Local Talent Variety Show, Mankato, Minnesota.
* Sept. 17, 18, 19, 24, 25, 26: THREE TREES TALKING and THE WEAKEST FINGER (short scripts), Asphalt Jungle Shorts, walking-tour theatre festival in Kitchener, Ontario.
* Nov. 13-Dec 14: DEATH BY POINSETTIA (one-act), Studio C, Hollywood, California.
* Nov. 13: CODE 40 VERONA (one-act), Redwood Christian Schools, San Lorenzo, California.
* Nov. 18: CAT ON TRIAL (five-minute piece), Readers Theatre Repertory of San Pedro, Los Angeles.
* December 4-19: ON THE THIRTEENTH DAY OF CHRISTMAS (full-length), First Avenue Playhouse, Atlantic Highlands, New Jersey.
* December 5: Staged reading of THE CHRISTMAS GOAT (ten-minute), Arts Resources for the Tri-State, Huntington, West Virginia.
* December 5: HIT THE BOOKS (one-act), Girard High School, Girard, Kansas.
* December 5: THE FRUITCAKE (one-act), Back Street Players, Hanover, Illinois
* December 11-13: THIS IS ANGEL O’LORD REPORTING and JOY TO OTHER WORLDS (five-minute scripts), Showtimers, Roanoke, Virginia.
* December 14: THE FRUITCAKE (one-act), Lockwood High School, Lockwood, Missouri
* December 15: LET THERE BE LIGHTS! (one-act), Seton Hall University, Seton Hall, New Jersey.
* December date unclear: FATHER CHRISTMAS (ten-minute), Southern Nash High School, Bailey, North Carolina.
* December date unclear: SANTA CLAUSTROPHOBIA (one-act), Hanover, Illinois (unclear name of group; publisher’s info only gives name of person who paid for scripts.)
* December date unclear: SANTA CLAUSTROPHOBIA (one-act), Tift Theatre for the Performing Arts, Tifton, Georgia.