My one-act THE TALE OF THE WHALE will be produced August 6 by Historic North Theatre in Danville, Virginia as the product of the theatre’s summer camp.
This will be the first production of this script. This also makes for a trifecta: That weekend, I will have three different scripts being produced in three different states — THE TALE OF THE WHALE in Virginia, THE BEAUTIFUL OGRE AND OTHER FAIRY TALES in Maryland and DEATH BY POINSETTIA in Rhode Island.
THE TALE OF THE WHALE
A whale washes up on the beach. The town’s mayor is determined to remove it before the town’s annual festival begins. Complications, and comedy, ensue. Very loosely based on the true story where an Oregon town tried to blow up a beached whale in the 1970s, with disastrous results. Think blubber raining down from the skies. Cast: 9 — 4 male, 3 female, 1 non-gender adult, 1 non-gender kid. With doubling, you could reduce it to a cast of 8 – 4 male, 3 female, 1 non-gender kid.
So far in 2016:
* January 2: Staged reading of RHONDA’S HIGH-CLASS ROADKILL CHILI (full-length) at Showtimers, Roanoke, Virginia.
* January 28: MAC AND BETH (one-act), Cascade Christian Schools, Puyallup, Washington.
* January 30: HIT THE BOOKS (one-act), Greater Sioux Falls Home Schools, Sioux Falls, South Dakota.
* Feb 5: Staged reading of THE BEAUTIFUL OGRE AND OTHER FAIRY TALES (ten-minute plays) as radio play before live audience, Hoosier Hometown Live, Mitchell, Indiana.
* Feb. 12: JIMMY’S PLAN FOR WORLD DOMINATION (one-minute play), Curiosi-Tea House, Mankato, Minnesota.
* Feb. 24: Staged reading of LARRY’S PLAN TO GET OUT OF DOING YARDWORK (five-minute), Readers Repertory Theatre, Los Angeles.
* Feb. 25: Staged reading of JILL AND THE BEANSTALK (one-act), Mitchell Community Public Library, Mitchell, Indiana.
* March 12: Staged reading of EXILED TO TEXAS, Roanoke Children’s Theatre, Roanoke, Virginia.
* March 19: Staged reading of 57 HOURS IN THE HOUSE OF CULTURE, Sweet Briar College, Sweet Briar, Virginia.
* March 19: Staged reading of PIECE OF CAKE (five-minute piece), Talif Productions, Theatre Momentum Pendulum Space, Chicago.
* April 22-24: CHEF PIERRE DOES NOT DO SIMPLE (ten-minute play), Dover Little Theatre, Dover, New Jersey.
* April 26: Staged reading of CAT ON TRIAL (five-minute play), Readers Theatre Repertory at San Pedro, Los Angeles.
* May 7-8: LETTERS FROM THE MONA LISA (ten-minute play), Jewel Box Theatre, Poulsbo, Washington.
* June 9-11: THE BIGFOOT SIGHTING and A MOMENT OF SILENCE (one-minute plays), Gone in 60 Seconds Festival, New York, NY.
* June 24-26, July 1-3, 8-10: THE BEAUTIFUL OGRE AND OTHER FAIRY TALES (ten-minute play), Garfield Center, Chestertown, Maryland.
* July 8-9: Will be a writer in “Overnight Sensations,” a 24-hour play project run by Hollins University and Mill Mountain Theatre, Roanoke, Virginia.
* July 23-24: Staged reading of A ZOMBIE CHRISTMAS (one-act), Princeton Theatre, Princeton, Illinois.
* August 5-7, 12-14: THE BEAUTIFUL OGRE AND OTHER FAIRY TALES (ten-minute play), Open Space Arts, Reisterstown, Maryland.
* August 5-13: DEATH BY POINSETTIA (one-act), Artists Exchange, Cranston, Rhode Island.
* August 6: THE TALE OF THE WHALE (one-act), Historic North Theatre, Danville, Virginia.