My 10-minute script THE BEAUTIFUL OGRE AND OTHER FAIRY TALES will be produced twice this summer — at two different theatres in Maryland.
Earlier, it had been accepted by Open Space Arts in Reisterstown, Maryland, a suburb of Baltimore suburbs, for a production August.
Now I get word its been accepted into the Short Attention Span Theatre 2016 event at The Garfield Center for the Arts in Chestertown, Maryland. Those shows will be June 24-26, July 1-3, and July 8-10 (Friday and Saturday at 8pm, Sunday at 3pm).
These will be the seventh and eighth productions of that script.
THE BEAUTIFUL OGRE AND OTHER FAIRY TALES
A father reads his daughter a fairy tale as a bedtime story — which the characters begin to act out. The girl doesn’t like how the story is going — no strong female role models, for instance — so she changes it all around. This is the result. Cast: Five — three males, two females. Running time: Eight minutes.
* Produced by the Paw Paw Village Players, Paw Paw, Michigan, Feb. 15-16, 22-23, 2008.
* Produced by Youth Education on Stage Summer Shorts, Williston, North Dakota, June 24-26, 2008.
* Produced by Subversive Theatre, Buffalo, N.Y., various nights between May 2-17, 2009.
* Produced by Play’n’Well Players, Plainview, Michigan, last weekend of May 2009.
* Produced by Jeonju Players, Jeonju, South Korea, December 2014
* Produced as script-in-hand reading as radio play before a live audience, Hoosier Hometown Live, Mitchell, Indiana, Feb. 5, 2016.
* Scheduled to be produced by Garfield Center for the Arts, Chestertown, Maryland, June-July 2016.
* Scheduled to be produced by Open Space Arts, Reistertown, Maryland, August 2016.
Interestingly, three of my pieces were recommended by the play selection committee — which apparently submits a lit of accepted scripts for directors to choose from. Alas, THE PICTURE WINDOW and SOMEWHERE TONIGHT, THE WASHINGTON SENATORS LAST GAME PLAYS ON didn’t get picked, but at least they made the first cut.
So far in 2016:
* January 2: Staged reading of RHONDA’S HIGH-CLASS ROADKILL CHILI (full-length) at Showtimers, Roanoke, Virginia.
* January 28: MAC AND BETH (one-act), Cascade Christian Schools, Puyallup, Washington.
* January 30: HIT THE BOOKS (one-act), Greater Sioux Falls Home Schools, Sioux Falls, South Dakota.
* Feb 5: Staged reading of THE BEAUTIFUL OGRE AND OTHER FAIRY TALES (ten-minute plays) as radio play before live audience, Hoosier Hometown Live, Mitchell, Indiana.
* Feb. 12: JIMMY’S PLAN FOR WORLD DOMINATION (one-minute play), Curiosi-Tea House, Mankato, Minnesota.
* Feb. 24: Staged reading of LARRY’S PLAN TO GET OUT OF DOING YARDWORK (five-minute), Readers Repertory Theatre, Los Angeles.
* Feb. 25: Staged reading of JILL AND THE BEANSTALK (one-act), Mitchell Community Public Library, Mitchell, Indiana.
* March 12: Staged reading of EXILED TO TEXAS, Roanoke Children’s Theatre, Roanoke, Virginia.
* March 19: Staged reading of 57 HOURS IN THE HOUSE OF CULTURE, Sweet Briar College, Sweet Briar, Virginia.
* March 19: Staged reading of PIECE OF CAKE (five-minute piece), Talif Productions, Theatre Momentum Pendulum Space, Chicago.
* April 22-24: CHEF PIERRE DOES NOT DO SIMPLE (ten-minute play), Dover Little Theatre, Dover, New Jersey.
* April 26: Staged reading of CAT ON TRIAL (five-minute play), Readers Theatre Repertory at San Pedro, Los Angeles.
* May 7-8: LETTERS FROM THE MONA LISA (ten-minute play), Jewel Box Theatre, Poulsbo, Washington.
* June 9-11: THE BIGFOOT SIGHTING and A MOMENT OF SILENCE (one-minute plays), Gone in 60 Seconds Festival, New York, NY.
* June 24-26, July 1-3, 8-10: THE BEAUTIFUL OGRE AND OTHER FAIRY TALES (ten-minute play), Garfield Center, Chestertown, Maryland.
* July 8-9: Will be a writer in “Overnight Sensations,” a 24-hour play project run by Hollins University and Mill Mountain Theatre, Roanoke, Virginia.
* July 23-24: Staged reading of A ZOMBIE CHRISTMAS (one-act), Princeton Theatre, Princeton, Illinois.
* August 5-7, 12-14: THE BEAUTIFUL OGRE AND OTHER FAIRY TALES (ten-minute play), Open Space Arts, Reisterstown, Maryland.