I got word today that not one, not two, not three but FOUR of my scripts have been accepted into the Gone in 60 Seconds #NextGen festival in New York in June. This is a festival of one-minute plays that will be performed by teens. It’s an outgrowth of the regular Gone in 60 Seconds Festival, where I’ve been a regular.
The “regular” festival is June 13-15 in New York and includes my play IT’S THE COW’S FAULT, discussed here.
The #NextGen portion is June 14-15.
Of the 26 scripts accepted into #NextGen festival, four are mine:
A geopolitical lesson, delivered as a rant by a woman against a man who has committed some grievous sin. Cast: One female.
THE CALL OF THE OPEN ROAD
Two chickens discuss why they should cross the road. Both a long version and a one-minute version. Cast: Two, non-gender.
JIMMY’S PLAN FOR WORLD DOMINATION
Versions 1 and 2: A boy and his sister plot how to take over the world. Cast: Two — one male, one female. Running time: One minute.
Version 3: A classroom scene in which a teacher finds a student plotting how to take over the world. Cast: Two have speaking roles — one juvenile male, one female adult, then however many kids you need to fill out the scene. Running time: One minute.
THREE TREES TALKING
Three trees contemplate the question: If they were human, what kind of human would be they? Cast: Three, non-gender. Running time: One minute.
* This was previously produced in the 2013 British edition of the Gone in 60 Seconds Festival, along with two other scripts.
Speaking of the British edition, I also learned today I have two scripts there this year, as well.
THE CHICKEN CROSSES MADISON AVENUE
Guess which road the chicken crossed to get to the other side. Cast: One, non-gender. Running time: One minute.
A person trying to get to sleep is counting sheep, when a wolf appears, dressed in sheep’s clothing. Cast: At least four – all non-gender.
That production will be June 5 in Halifax, U.K.
That brings the grand total of upcoming productions to:
* May 17: THE RING, a one-act, at Haylofters, in Burlington, Wisconsin. (Voted second place in audience vote.)
* May 23: SOMETIMES ELEPHANTS DIE STANDING UP, a ten-minute play, Unproduced Moon Company, Scotland.
* May 30: THE RING, a five-minute script, at Newburgh Free Academy, Newburgh, N.Y. Details here.
* June 5: THE CHICKEN CROSSES MADISON AVENUE and COUNTING WOLVES, Gone in 60 Seconds Festival, Halifax, U.K.
* June 13-14: BOLIVIA!, THE CALL OF THE OPEN ROAD, JIMMY’S PLAN FOR WORLD DOMINATION, and THREE TREES TALKING, at Gone in 60 Seconds #NextGen Festival, New York, N.Y.
* June 13-15: IT’S THE COW’S FAULT, at Gone in 60 Seconds Festival, New York, N.Y.
So that’s eight in all going on right now — five in New York City, one outside New York City and two in Great Britain.
The Gone in 60 Seconds Festival folks have the entire line-up and more details here. And, as always, all of these scripts are available royalty-free. Here’s why.